This edition has a video tip on tinting with solids or gradients and modes.
There's other details on blending modes in AE Help: Work with layer blending modes and Exclude channels from blending, and via the AE team from Motionworks, Blend Modes on Collapsed Layers. And there's additional resources of course:
- Tutorials for Photoshop with good info on modes are numerous. Deke’s Photoshop Top 40, Feature #11: Opacity and Blend Modes (a video overview) is good, and Mastering Photoshop’s Blending Modes by Richard Harrington is succinct (there are others also on Tip Squirrel). Also, Adobe's Julieanne Kost had a series of recent posts on blend modes in Photoshop.
- Chris Meyer also looked at Blend Modes in Adobe Premiere Pro and earlier, Composite Modes in Final Cut Pro.
- Mark Christiansen has a tip on Linear Blending at Any Color Depth in After Effects.
- Subtract and Divide blend modes were added to After Effects CS5; Todd Kopriva noted related tutorials. Ben Rollason showed how to emulate these modes in AE CS4 in Subtract and Divide Blending Modes in AE CS4.
- Here's a sample tutorial on blending modes from After Effects CS5: Learn by Video by Angie Taylor and Todd Kopriva, courtesy of Peachpit (this embed behaves better on Firefox than Chrome):