"Well here is a test I did using CC Particle World linked to a 3D NULL! I used several copies featuring different settings to serve as the smoke particles and the light debris. I think CC Particle World has great potential to create amazing particles but it may take a little more work when compared to Particular."
He gives you a CS3 After Effects project, but sadly without the lovely environment in the render. Here are some handy examples and After Effect tutorials from earlier AEP posts (gee they're almost all from Video Copilot):
- Better control of Particle World, a quick tip of 3D null & PW by Adam Everett Miller from AE Tut
- Particle Positioner script by Jess Toula, one click to create a Particle World with the emitter connected to a null object for easy control.
- CycoreFX Particle World Demo
- Video Copilot #98: Particle World explosion (an earlier demo of 3D null)
- Free custom Particle World-based project
- Fire in After Effects round-up
- Shatter and disintegration: techniques for our time
- Particle Turbulence for PW from VCP
- various Particle Tutorials and Particles Tutorials tutorials at Creative Cow
- CMD 81: Looping Backgrounds: Particle Effect (skip to 4:40 or so)
- CC Particle World Intro by AEDude